Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Old dirty A7's on eBay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Old dirty A7's on eBay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member Petro's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2016
    Location
    Southern new jersey
    Posts
    70
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old dirty A7's on eBay

    Wow they are crispy. I've never heard the a7's with the horn on the bottom. Is there a big difference?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Old dirty A7's on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by Petro View Post
    Wow they are crispy. I've never heard the a7's with the horn on the bottom. Is there a big difference?
    When you lay on the floor, yes.

    Usually, the cabinets are flipped putting the horn more or less at ear level for a seated listener.

    The "Magnificent" used this arrangement.

    IMO, the classic horn on top arrangement can slightly best the horn in the vent. It allows the user to more precisely "aim" the horn's axis, and the close spacing of the two horn mouths gets you a little closer to a point source.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Old dirty A7's on eBay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Old dirty A7's on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by Petro View Post
    Wow they are crispy. I've never heard the a7's with the horn on the bottom. Is there a big difference?
    Actually he has them upside down, but they were used that way when wall mounted.

    At the price though, somebody could clean them up.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old dirty A7's on eBay

    Boy I sure miss my dead A7-500's, this thing I have in my living room now is great near field, but I used to drag the A7's out onto the deck at the cabin's 1/4 mile diameter bowl shaped bay 30 years ago and with 8 piezo super tweeters per side and no EQ and a Crown DC300A amp used to blast ELP and Yes songs out onto the lake and the sound on inner tubes on a hot day 150 feet away where wonderful, even "Bigely".

    Too bad every time I scrounge up $300 to recone one and remag the other, I find 3 other great, cheap speakers that I have to rescue first. .

    Boy, do I LOVE Bose.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; November 21st, 2016 at 08:21 PM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Old dirty A7's on eBay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Old dirty A7's on eBay

    Quote Originally Posted by volvoheretic View Post
    boy, do i love bose.
    make flesh crawl....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Old dirty A7's on eBay

    I think the Bose sound (at least without the EQ) has a lot in common with a stock A7 cab with original caps and stock port tuning. No highs and no lows

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.